Monday, June 16, 2008

Saying Goodbye to Tippi


Today is a sad day for me. It's a happy event for a rescuer - I have matched a homeless animal, in this case, Tippi the Border Collie puppy, with a loving forever home. They have 4 kids, a fenced in yard, and a 1 year old border collie who longed to have a playmate.

But the reality is that I fell in love with Tippi, a cute little stinker with a ton of personality. Jim fell in love with her too, as did our two 6 year old dogs, Noir the Cattle Dog/Lab mix and Casey, a Boxer/Lab mix. We were so proud of our girls for accepting Tippi into the pack, teaching her the ropes, and playing with her. We were especially proud of Casey, who is usually not real friendly to dogs except Noir.


Tippi came to us on May 3rd, 2008, exactly 25 years after I adopted my puppy Floyd in Buffalo, NY. Floyd was a spitfire, just like Tippi. I think Floyd guided Tippi to me from her home at the Rainbow Bridge.
A woman had picked this 10 week old puppy up running along the road, caked in mud and briars, heading toward a busy highway. She cleaned her up then drove her through the neighborhoods in the area trying to find her home. No one recognized her, but when she talked to my next door neighbor Helen, she told her to talk to me because I work in rescue.
We took her in, cared for her, trained her, vetted her, and inevitably fell in love with her. So tonight I miss her, wish I could still cuddle her soft fur against my cheek and tell her once more that I love her. But I will have to send my thoughts long distance, as she is with her new family now. I hope she is a brave little girl and not scared at night to be in a new place. I know that soon her memories of Jim and I and Casey and Noir will fade, replaced by the excitement of 4 kids and a 1 year old border collie named Dakota. I know they will love her and care for her just like I did.


She was my first foster. Now I have room in my home for the next puppy that needs a temporary harbour. I will always have room in my heart for these little ones. But tonight my heart breaks for my little Tippi.

No comments:

Post a Comment