Saturday, January 24, 2009

Yellow lab: the new "in" dog

Movies and TV shows have always shaped our lives by dictacting fashions and trends, what's "in" and what's not. Unfortunately movies even affect our decisions about which type of dog to add as our new family members.

Think back to popular dogs.. Lassie, Rin Tin Tin, Benji, Papi the chihuahua. And this year's popular movie, "Marley and Me".

My husband and I volunteer as animal rescuers. We foster puppies, give them a safe home, love them, then find them wonderful, loving, permanent adoptive homes. We love black or black and white dogs. Partly because black dogs are less desired by the public, and have the highest euthanasia rate in shelters.

My guess is that breeders are already starting to pump out yellow lab puppies like Carter's little liver pills.

As a rescuer, I know what that means. In 6 months or a year, the shelters will be packed with yellow labs that people got when it was in vogue, and got rid of when they realized what energetic little hellions they can be without the proper exercize, discipline, and affection. So as soon as no one is interested in yellow labs any more, rescue groups will have a bumper crop of them.

Don't get me wrong. I love ALL dogs. I love yellow labs. What I don't love is that a living animal is treated as an in style, must-have accessory.

Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die!

1 comment:

  1. Today brought an exciting and happy turn of events... the nice lady that I liked so much called and invited Smokey over for a play date with her dog! YAYY!! Smokey is soooo excited!

    ReplyDelete