Sunday, July 27, 2008

When all that stands between death and freedom is a ride...

Mari gets kisses of gratitude from one of my passengers, DixieSaturday was another transport day, but this time instead of riding with Mari, I drove in tandem with her. Another girl from our rescue group also drove. We did two legs, picking up dogs in Spartanburg, SC and stopping in Charlotte, NC then driving on to Salisbury, NC. Five drivers in each of 14 legs moved over 30 animals from certain death to the promise of rescue and forever homes.

My passengers were 3 shepherd mix pupplies, 7 spaniel puppies, 1 scruffy jack russell terrier named Dixie, and 2 cats. It was not a quiet ride! The photo at left is Mari with Dixie.

As I drove to Salisbury, two drivers were ahead of me and two more followed me. The jeep immediately in front of me had a little dog in the back that would jump up and look out the window, then get down, then jump up and look out again, as if watching me to tell her driver, "Yes, she's still back there!"

It was an exhausting and frustrating day but I can't imagine a bigger personal reward than knowing I helped a few fur babies start a new life.

ADOPT.Friends can't be bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment