Sunday, June 21, 2009

My Story - by Magnolia


I was picked up as a stray on Cloverleaf Circle in Rock Hill, SC on May 4th, 2009, and taken to doggie jail. The jail was really full so I couldn't even go to the adoption floor. On May 9th I was listed as a "rescue only pull" and my picture was sent out to rescue groups in case someone could help me. There were 8 other puppies in the same dire circumstances as me. We only had until May 15th at 5:00PM to be pulled or we would be sent early to the Rainbow Bridge, and never have the chance to fulfill our promise as loving family members.

Fortunately at 3:00PM that day, my foster mom came and got me, and another puppy. She took us home, but I barked and cried all the way home cause I was so scared. I didn't feel well, and I really smelled bad which I didn't like. I had fleas driving me crazy, and a few ticks in my ears. They only gave me one shot at the jail because they weren't going to keep me for long.

When we got home, foster mom gave us baths. That felt good and I sat down in the warm water. She rubbed us dry and talked softly to us and told us she promised to find wonderful homes for us where we'd be safe for the rest of our lives, and that we had to promise to be good girls and love our new families forever because they are the true rescuers.

The first night I was really confused. There was a soft music, but I barked all night long. I was scared, and had never been in a crate before. It seemed big and scarey. The next night I had a smaller crate, and foster mom and put one of her t-shirts in there with me so I knew I wasn't really alone. I also had toys and she hid some little treats in my blanket so I would have to hunt for them. I did better, only cried a few times, and every time mom came out and talked softly to me and I was able to calm down and go back to sleep.

Over the next few days I got good food, medicine, and lots of belly rubs and got to play a lot with my foster sister. Her name was Meadow, and she's a border collie mix like me but we didn't look alike at all. She was younger than me too, which gave me a real advantage when we played! She was adopted about 10 days later and I missed her.

I have two foster aunts, too, named Casey and Noir. They play sometimes, but other times they just wanted to relax and chew their bones.

Every afternoon we go outside on the deck and I get to swim in the puppy pool. I love it! I snorkel for toys on the bottom of the pool, and sometimes just lay down in the water and cool off.
Last week another puppy came to live with us named Mulligan. He had been abused as a puppy and foster mom decided he deserved a "do-over". He was adopted and went to his new home yesterday. He was fun to play with too, and this morning I miss him. But foster mom says today is my "big day" and this afternoon I start living with my "furever" family.

My new sisters have already sent me emails and pictures and I can't wait to meet them. I know we're going to be best friends. It will be so nice to have someone to play with all the time!

I will miss foster mom and dad and aunts Casey and Noir, but I told them I will never forget them for helping me when I needed them most. I will try be a good girl, and fulfill my promise as a loving pet and best friend to my new family. Life is going to be a wonderful adventure and I am so happy to be here and part of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment