Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Talker, the puppy music critic

Ah, yes, another Saturday, another transport. But this one was a little hairy. With hurricane Hanna pushing up the coast the transport was in jeopardy. And in our hearts we know that if we don't get the dogs out, they may be put down. Because of the potential for bad weather, some drivers were opting to stay home. So I was needed as a driver. I was to take 3 puppies and 2 adult dogs from Spartanburg, SC through Charlotte and on to Salisbury NC.

We got to Spartanburg on time and gassed up. We always do that because gas is cheaper the further south into South Carolina you go. Saturday morning I paid $3.35 a gallon. I never would have thought that's a great price, but these days it sure is!

The drivers coming from Newbury and Greenville shelters were late. When they finally got there, it was a mad rush to get all the animals loaded. One of my dogs didn't make it, but I found out later he'll get on the transport next week (phew!). In his place I got a very pregnant cat. I mean, about to burst pregnant cat. So I loaded up 3 puppies - Tiptoe, a chocolate lab/shepherd mix with crazy ears, Talker, a shepherd mix that looked just like my dog Casey, and Flame, a gorgeous Aussie/shepherd mix. Also had Kiley, a papillon mix. And the cat...

Talker's and the cat's crates were aside each other. BIG mistake. It turns out Talker is aptly named. Usually once we get going, the dogs settle down and snooze. I was listening to the radio, had the AC on, and usually that does the trick. It did for everyone but Talker. She barked and barked. I tried singing along with the music thinking that would reassure her that she wasn't alone. Oh no, she continued to bark. I sang louder, played the radio louder, and she barked louder. And then I stopped singing.... and she stopped barking! MORE DOG SARCASM!! Apparently she's a music critic and can't tolerate my off-key singing! SHEESH!

Meanwhile all this barking right next to her was making the pregnant cat a little nervous. Not a good thing. Have I mentioned I'm not a cat person? Thank goodness Mari is! When we stopped in Charlotte, I asked her to take the cat. Good thing I did - on the way to Salisbury she started to scream. Labor pains. Needless to say, arrangements were made and she got off the transport at the next stop, Greensboro, NC.

Other passengers on this run were a 110 pound German Shephed named Merlin who was convinced he should be driving... everytime Deb got out of her car, Merlin was in the driver's seat!
In all there were 25 dogs, 3 didn't make it and 2 dogs and the cat took their places.


As usual, Mari grabbed one of the little dogs to ride on her lap. This week it was a little Shih Tzu named Nikki. I got this photo of Mari in Salisbury before she had to hand her over to the next driver. Mari is sporting a rescuer's favorite necklace - a colorful assortment of slip leads!

No comments:

Post a Comment